- For high performing organizations, strategy is about delivering value by demonstrating positive impact and effective management over time.
- It can be helpful to think of strategy at three levels: strategy for the organization, for a program, or for a service unit.
- At each level, the strategy is a statement of how the organization will deliver positive impact for a defined set of customers.
- It is the leader’s job is to assure that the organization has a strategy that is agile and focused on impact.
- It is everyone’s job to assure that the organization is effectively executing its strategy.
You can quickly create and assure strategic focus by applying these positive practices, which are based on Peter Drucker’s Five Most Important Questions You Can Ask About Your Organization.
- 1. Define the mission. The first step is to clearly define the mission of your organization, program or service – and make sure everyone in the organization understands it.
- 2. Focus on the customer. The next step is to identify your customers, or the people you serve and satisfy. Think of your primary customers as the people whose lives you hope to change. Think of your supporting customers as the service partners, funders, and others whose support you need to accomplish your mission.
- 3. Define the value proposition. Think of your value proposition as a statement of the positive impact you can deliver to each of your customer groups. Here it is important to understand what our customers value, and craft our value proposition accordingly.
- 4. Evaluate results. Evaluate your actual results against your value proposition to assure that you are delivering positive impact for your customers.
- 5. Develop a plan. Create or refine your strategic plan to assure that you are optimizing positive impact for your customers. Your plan can describe the vision, mission, goals, action steps, and capacity requirements for creating positive impact.
- The Five Most Important Questions You Can Ask About Your Organization (CHS Insight, 2018)
- Five Strategic Keys for Community Collaboration (CHS Insight, 2018)
- How to Demonstrate the Value of Your Organization (CHS Insight, 2018)
- Grantmakers in Health Guide to Impact Investing (GIH, 2017)
- Collective Impact (Stanford Social Innovation Review, 2011)
- Executing Strategy: Achieving Results (American Management Association)